March 2, 2018 - 6:02 pm - Posted in News

Larchwood, Iowa — There are still many unknowns in the case of a shooting that happened over a month ago in Larchwood. But there have been a few developments.

The shooting happened in the early hours of Friday, January 26th, 2018 at a home in Larchwood.

It was not known then, and investigators are still not saying if they have discovered whether the incident was an accident or not. At the time, Lyon County Sheriff Stewart Vander Stoep said that a handgun was the weapon, but the circumstances around the shooting were still under investigation.

That much is still true. But Vander Stoep has told us that there were two people involved, the victim and someone else. We also know that while the victim was taken to a Sioux Falls hospital, the shooting has not turned out to be fatal. Vander Stoep says no charges have been filed at this time, but he did tell us that the investigation into the incident has been turned over to the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation — the “DCI.”

KIWA contacted the DCI, but the special agent in charge of the investigation told us that the DCI has chosen not to comment since it’s a continuing investigation. No names of anyone involved have been released, and no further information is available at this time.

Original story posted Jan 26, 2018 at 11:38 a.m.:

Larchwood, Iowa — One person is in a Sioux Falls hospital after a shooting overnight in Larchwood.

Lyon County Sheriff Stewart Vander Stoep says emergency responders were called to a home in Larchwood about 2:00 a.m. Friday morning, January 26th for the report of a gunshot victim.

Vander Stoep says at this time it is not known if the shooting was an accident or not. He says a handgun was the weapon, but the circumstances around the shooting are still under investigation at this time.

He did say that the victim was taken to a Sioux Falls hospital where he remains at this time. No names of the people involved have been released.

The Sheriff says deputies responded along with emergency medical personnel around 2:00 a.m., and didn’t clear the scene until about 9:30 or 10:00 a.m. Friday morning.

He says the investigation continues and they hope to release more information soon.

This entry was posted on Friday, March 2nd, 2018 at 6:02 pm and is filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.